Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Books Im reading..




For some reason,ive been reading more african books this summer than ever before.Maybe because I feel guilty for still not reading "Things Fall Apart"..i knw we have the movie somewhere..i think..But I think the reason why i started reading the books ive read so far is because I can actually RELATE to some of the books.Chinua Achebe and Ngugi Wathiongo are talented writers ,but I feel as though they are set in times when I wasnt even born..hence being able to imagine what life was like at the time the books are set in was challenging.Now ,there are a whole new list of writers who share my story:brain drain,feeling stuck between two cultures etc...

The story I relate to the most is Powder Necklace by Nana Ekua.i read it in like a day...I liked Purple Hibiscus by Chimanda Adiche .Some funny moments in that book..and im currently reading "A long way gone" by Ishmael Beah.I should be done soon though im SCARED it will give me nightmares.They are all different yet touching stories and I would advise you to read them...

No comments: